Thomastik Dominant Violin Strings
The Original synthetic string, Dominant continues to be one of the best selling synthetic string lines
available. They are well balanced - not to bright and not too dark. They have a moderate dynamic range and
are extremely stable. The tone is warm and clear, and they are fairly responsive and pliable under the fingers.
Set Includes . . .
- Choice of Plain (Chrome) Steel E (Loop or Ball), Aluminum-Wound Steel E (Loop or Ball), or Tin-Plated Steel E (Removable Ball)
- Synthetic/Aluminum-Wound A
- Synthetic/Aluminum-Wound D
- Synthetic/Silver-Wound G
Individual and Alternate Strings
E String Options
- Plain (Chrome) Steel - Clean, Bright
- Aluminum-Wound - Darker in tone than plain steel. Recommended for beginners.
- Tin-Plated Steel - A richer, smoother option than the outdated plain steel string. Recommended for professionals. (4/4 Medium Gauge Only)
The standard, plain (chrome) steel Dominant E yields a smooth, clear, fairly bright tone. The optional aluminum-wound E is warmer, though still fairly bright, and is far less prone to whistling and squeaking. We recommend the wound E for beginners. Many professionals have opted to combine the Dominant G, D, and A strings with a better quality E string from a different set. However, Thomastik is now offering a new
tin-plated steel string - greatly superior to the original plain steel - which is getting good reviews from professional players. (Click Individual Strings, above, to order.)
The Dominant string is a highly flexible, multi-strand synthetic core string for tonal warmth and feel of gut and is impervious to changes in humidity, allowing for stable intonation and long life. The sound is soft, clear and rich in overtones. Dominant strings, widely recognized as "the reference standard", are legendary for distinctive tone and playability.